Every Wednesday or Thursday, ThePacificanOnline.com is updated with this weeks articles from all four sections. Updating takes about 4 hours usually but always depends on the number of articles, plus the pictures and how much cross-linking needs to be done.
This page is meant to be a "blog" to discuss new features that are added to the website each week.
April 24, 2011
- Page found again after 2 years
- Update time has been moved to Wednesday morning or evening, or Thursday at the latest dues to new web administrators setting their own routines every year
February 22, 2009
- Updates to poll
- Updates to staff information for the Spring 2009 semester
January 15, 2009
- Template now works for smaller resolutions
- Top navigation is now located at the bottom near the footer
- Working on dimensions of slideshow
January 10, 2009
- A new year, a new template!! Still working on the kinks, but overall works great with a new navigation and features.
- Author/ Writer names are now linkable to their resume of articles.
- More links available to the Pacific Stockton Campus.
- Change in sectioning of Multimedia
- Upcoming (and still in progress) feature of classifieds, more student involvement, maybe club/organization advertising.
- Possible feature of events calendar.
- New header.
May 3, 2007
- Put up the new template. It works fabulously in Firefox, I still have to write the CSS so that it looks proper in Internet Explorer.
- Re-arranged the site a little and received feedback from students at other universities for their input.
- Another website administrator has been added, Linda Lopez is her name, and she will be taking over when I graduate. So far she is in charge of placing all the articles online each week, and is learning the ropes.
October 27, 2006
- Please excuse the delayed up times for the paper. Senior year is kicking my butt. But at least its up and yeah. Have at it.
September 20, 2006
- Added the "Past Issues" Section where you can view the cover of past papers and download the PDF document of that paper. I am in the process of adding more.
- Added "The Most Talked About Articles" on the right side of the screen.
September 13, 2006
- Added more banners and ads in the newspaper to the site.
- Cleaned up Staff Section and included links to respective articles.
- Added @pacific.edu e-mail address to each contact.
April 05, 2006
- Due to feedback to change the PDF on the left side of the screen, a copy of the entire paper will now be placed online. Some readers expressed interest in the ability to read the entire paper in PDF format. Unless otherwise stated, Adobe Acrobat 6.0 or later should be used to view this file.
- RSS Feeds work with Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail client and update automatically. A guide will go up later this week regarding how to setup your client to work with the RSS feeds.
- Added a few web-only stories which DO NOT appear in the paper, as ThePacificanOnline moves towards being updated more often then the paper in print. These articles may appear in next weeks printed paper.
- Fixed the flash players on the videos section to include a working player. Now you can raise and lower the volume and speed ahead of the video as it downloads. Check it out!
March 29, 2006
- During an upgrade of the CMS plenty of bugs were found so I spent the entire night manually replacing files to get the website back in working condition. One lesson was learned "if its not broken, don't fix it".
- Website functioning normally, all articles placed online for the largest paper in recent memory.
- Added a "name" field to the commenting system so that instead of 'guest' you enter your name.
- Tweaked some backend files and the css to make the pages more uniform.
- Added the Videos @ Pacific section, setup subdomain, tweaking video files for uniformity.
March 22, 2006
- Spring Break Edition put online mostly featuring articles from Non-pacifican writers. First only 'online' edition of the newspaper.
- Events Calendar added, will be skinned in the next few days.
- Added "latest" news which lists the 5 next events in order from the current date, and only lists the items which are inputed into the calendar database.
- New section of the website coming next week, regarding interactive content. Be on the lookout for testing of the new content!
March 08, 2006
- Google News really does bring visitors to our site. This picture was taken at 3:39 AM after The Pacifican was finished being updatied this morning after a comment had been left by a non-student.
March 05, 2006 - Physical Site Update
- Re-organized site to feature 2 leading articles, and the rest in links.
- Changed color scheme to be more white, as too much orange made it difficult on the eyes.
- Cleaned up the menu's and put them in alphabetical order.
- Added a "pathway" to allow the reader to let them know where on the site they are.
- Added the Pacific Seal, taken from Pacific.edu.
- Added an additional google ad banner, which can be replaced with your advertising at any time.
March 01, 2006
- ThePacifican.com is now an address that points and brings up ThePacificanOnline.
- Fixed the "e-mail an editor" section to include all the editors accesible from the dropdown menu. E-mails go to their @pacific.edu e-mail boxes.
- February was our busiest month with over 7,500 hits! (GoogleNEWS is awesome)
- 1.35 gigabytes of bandwidth was used during the month of February.
- Another staff member has been added to update the website as a paper is produced.
February 23, 2006
- Archive section setup to make it easier to find older articles.
- Podcasting now done directly on our website.
- ThePacifican.com domain name has been re-aquired, will work by next week.
- Added more writer links.
- Fixed RSS feeds.
- Increased the number of articles shown in each section.
- Add the "e-mail an editor" section, so you can submit letters online.
February 15, 2006
- The Pacifican will be updated later today. It was not updated early this morning as I received a copy of the paper at 3 AM and I was already asleep. I will be adding a few new features soon.
- More web publishers have been added, content should be online quicker so that we don't get into to problem we had this week.
- Polls are now being run in each section.
February 8, 2006
- Added a single question polls module on the right hand side of the website. You can vote once every 86,400 seconds which is every 24 hours.
- Hand-coded the CSS file for the polls module.
- I have been working with y2m.com to get back our domain name "ThePacifican.com" and I've transfered the domain to my account, and I am awaiting approval from y2m.com.
- Added the mugshot for Ryan Mathews, as well as updated all the links to each respective writer to their articles.
- Brought e-Distribution, and RSS/XML Feeds to show up on all pages, but created some 'unrest' with the content on the main portion of the page.